Marion County Master Gardener Association
Photo Contest – 2017
The MCMGA photo contest is partly photography, but mainly about the great things in your favorite garden(s), home or away, that you would like to share with the rest of us. Check out the Photography Tips page, too!
WHEN and WHERE
All submissions are due to Vickie Davis by midnight, Sunday, August 27, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The entries will be displayed and you will vote for your favorites at our evening meeting, Wednesday September 13. This is our annual evening meeting and is being held at The Riviera Club (5640 N. Illinois St., Indianapolis, IN 46208)
- Sharing something from your own experience in gardening without giving an entire lecture, or opening your yard to a tour
- Provide new ideas for the rest of us, about arrangement, design, color combinations, use of planters, furniture, trellises, new and wonderful gardens to visit, and all things gardening
- A way to have and share MCMGA gardening fun
HOW THE CONTEST WORKS
What?? No $18,000 Hasselblad camera in your closet? No problem! I’ve seen fabulous, beautiful pictures from cell phone cameras. Please, just snap away, and enter our contest!! We want to give our best photographers some competition! Your picture just might give someone else a gardening idea they have been waiting years for, so jump in and have some fun. You never know what will come out of that lens!
- Contest is open to current MCMGA members and you must have taken the photos. Entries can be of plants and scenes in your own garden OR in some other garden you enjoy. You may submit up to three photograph entries as digital files only. Please make sure you rename your images with your name and the entry name.
- Each photo must be accompanied by a written comment that is 50 words or less and that provides some educational information about the subject matter that your fellow MG’s would like to know.
- The entries will be judged in different categories;
Blooms, including tropical and exotic, Landscapes or Garden Views, Veggies, Wildlife in the Garden. Check out the Photography Tips page.
- Photos with their written statements will be assigned numbers (anonymity) and put on display by category. They will be displayed at the September MCMGA evening meeting. At the meeting, those in attendance can vote for their favorites – voting for the best in each category. Voters may choose their favorite based on beauty, interest, how unusual or educational they think it is, etc. The photo receiving the overall highest number of votes will determine the Best of Show winner. MG Photo Contest 2017 form
- Download the form to your computer and open with Reader do not attempt to open in a browser. Browsers are not configured right to make form pdfs work properly. This pdf is configured for you to fill in on the computer and save and email with your images.
- Suggested camera settings: Use the highest quality settings e.g. “fine” (i.e. most pixels) and have a relatively new camera for high‐resolution images. File sizes of 2+ megapixels are generally high quality. Some camera companies use their own proprietary quality standards such as SQ, HQ, and SHQ (standard, high and super high quality respectively.
- Photos and statements will be assigned numbers (anonymity) and put on poster boards by category. They will be displayed at the September MCMGA evening meeting. At the meeting, those in attendance can vote for their favorites – voting for the best in each category. Voters may choose their favorite based on beauty, interest, how unusual or educational they think it is.
- Winners will be announced at the December MCMGA holiday meeting. The winning entries will appear in The Greenery. A prize will be given to the “best of show” winner, the first, second, and third place winners in each category.
- To enter, submit each photo along with the entry form. Submissions are due by midnight, Sunday August 27, 2017.